wikiHow - The How to Manual That You Can Edit
It's the time of the season to make your house look awesome! This article will inform you on how to make your house look great with lights and decorations without going overboard.
- Get the supplies listed in the "Things You'll Need" section. Make sure you don't get too much or you will keep wanting to add!
- ONLY apply the lights on the mantle, the tree, on the outside of your house, and simple places like that.
- Apply small decorations on the shelves or side tables, display collections of santas, angels, snowmen, etc in groups.
- Carefully put your tree in your desired room, consider where it will be seen from. If you have a front sitting room with a window that faces the street it is nice to place the tree there. Also consider Christmas morning, make sure you have enough room to get the kids around the tree to open presents without being confined.
- After you put lights on the tree, try putting lights on the mantle, but be sure to lay some cedar boughs on top of the lights too. Use artificial greens on top of hot lights to avaoid a fire.
- Using icicle lights gives your home a nice touch without overdoing it. It's easy too!
- Try your local dollar store for a few ornaments. Stick to maroons and deep greens to keep your decorations from looking cheap.
- Get cost-effective and creative ideas from existing displays on the Tacky Light Tour.
- Space out your ornaments.Every other branch is good for width.
- You can also put lights on bushs or hedges outside your house. They always look nice without going over the top.
- Hang lights around the walls and ceilings. This will make your walls look like Clark W. Griswold came by to decorate and you will become known throughout the neighborhood for such a marvelous display.
- If you are moving too fast it might make you want to add more and more, so stop and relax for a second.
- Do not place more than one ornament on a branch. It weighs it down and it won't look good.
Things You'll Need
- Your breath
- A tree
- Tree hooks
- Candy Canes
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Decorate a House With Christmas Lights Without Going over the Top. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.